Patron: Dame Gillian Weir
Registered Charity No.298088
Last page update: 23 May 2018
About The Berkshire Organists' Association
The Berkshire Organists' Association was founded at a meeting held on 19th April 1921, arranged by Percy Scrivener (the Founder President) and Archibald Lusty, who subsequently served as Secretary for 46 years. The
Association was affiliated to the National Union of Organists' Associations: this body became the Incorporated Association of Organists, to which we are still affiliated. In 1988 we became a registered charity (No 298088).
Our aims as an Association:
to promote the art of playing the organ
to encourage the public to appreciate organ music
to provide help and advice to church musicians
to enable organists to meet each other.
These aims are of equal importance, and we try to achieve them
in three ways:
1. Organising events for members
We hope to cater for as many tastes as possible by promoting
organ recitals and concerts, master classes, talks on organs, discussions on
church music, publishers' evenings, choir workshops, social evenings and
visits to interesting organs.
Since 1965 we have arranged regular recitals on the historic Father
Willis organ in Reading Town Hall, and we also organise a series of
lower-profile recitals given by members in local churches.
2. Communication with members
In addition to maintaining this website, we issue a newsletter
every two months, and each
year since 1948 have published The Berkshire Organist, a substantial
magazine which has few equals amongst other organists' associations.
3. Exercising an influence in the outside world
We consider it important to be, and be seen to be, a source of
help and advice to all organists and church musicians. We are striving to
raise our profile in Berkshire, along with the Newbury and Windsor
Associations, in order to involve as many people as possible in achieving the
four aims listed above.
Our Patron is Dame Gillian Weir.
The current officers of the Association include:
Jonathan Holl -
Harry Russell -
Derek Guy -
The logo of the Association is a drawing of the case of the
Father Willis organ in Reading Town Hall.